PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES
Computers and Software:
College of Forestry's Computing Helpdesk offers software training throughout the year. Check their training page often or make a request for a specific workshop.
OSU Cooperative Learning Groups allow OSU employees to meet, share ideas, and build skills. Find one in session or start your own group.
On-line training opportunities:
- ESRI Virtual Campus offers free web-based GIS short courses to OSU faculty and staff
- OSU Extension Service Computing Technology Unit offers access to software training documents
- R-Project for Statistical Computing - Free R software and training manuals
- OSU Library research tutorial to help maximize your literature search time
- On-line tutorial for computerized information in agriculture is designed to develop library research skills and the basics can easily be used for other disciplines
- EndNote Citation and Bibliographic management software tutorial
Leadership and Administration:
OSU's Office of Human Resources
Journey Into Leadership (Read RSF Comments & Experiences)
Performance Coaching (Read RSF Comments & Experiences)
Core Curriculum for managers and supervisors
In addition the Office of Training and Professional Development offers a variety of shorter workshops throughout the year and can help meet specific needs of different groups. Check the site often or join their listserv for regular updates.
DAS offers training courses for state employees including university staff and faculty
OSU Banner & Data Warehouse training opportunities can be found at the Professional Development Central Registration site. There are fairly strict requirements to gain access to one or both data systems.
First Aid and CPR
- American Red Cross
- CPR Works LLC (RSF comment - local and an excellent presenter)
- Dixon Rec Safety Classes
- National Outdoor Leadership School Wilderness Medicine Institute - Advanced Medical Aid (classes offered nationwide)
Oregon Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) - offers many resources, video rentals, training, and consultation
- OSU Motor Pool Van Safety video and test. Required for those that may drive 8 and 12 passenger or large cargo vans.
- Coaching the experienced driver is aimed at brushing up employees driving skills. The courses are offered periodically through OSU Environmental Health and Safety. Check the training calendar or call the safety office for course availability (7-2273).
Certifications and licenses:
Commercial Pesticide Applicator license, Oregon Department of Agriculture
Public Pesticide Applicator license, Oregon Department of Agriculture
Private Pesticide Applicator license, Oregon Department of Agriculture
Certified Forester, Society of American Foresters
Forest Sustainability certifications